Review: Governor

Governor Governor by Lesli Richardson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

An avid fan of Ms. Dalton's, I decided to buy and try her alter-ego, Ms. Richardson. Or is it the other way around? Regardless, I expected to have a solid romance with characters I would either love to hate or just love. What I did not expect was the amount of kinky erotic. For this, I am pleased and excited. What I also didn't expect, was to enjoy the politics of this book. Full disclosure, I'm a follower of Ms. Dalton on facebook. In one of groups, it is extremely left leaning and they don't welcome those with conservative leanings. I put this in here because I'm surprised by how balanced the politics is in here compared to what I've seen her vocal fan base post.

I am not a bit fan of political themes. I'm also not a fan of reading stories by authors I liked writing about politics because generally they swing to one extreme or the other. Neither appeal to me. The caricatures of either side of the fence usually comes across heavy handed and lecturing. It there is one thing I hate in books and will pretty much rate it as a DNF or 1 star is if an author gets into a lecturing mode in the book. This book is far from lecturing. This book is a beautiful love story between three friends who have career aspirations that align.

One of this author's particular strengths is writing about strong bonds - be it family, friends or lovers. Strong may be positive or negative. She tends to make extremes to contrast between the good and bad. Make no mistakes, there are clear lines of good and bad, right and wrong in her books. The bad "mother" or "father" is a heinous unconscionable demon from the depths of hell. There is nothing redeeming about them. They are horrible in every facet. In this one, it is all about Owen's mother. She is a witch.

Owen is a delicious man who lacks self esteem. His childhood is one of neglect and constant emotional abuse. He's like that lanky puppy with sad eyes who hides in the corner and flinches when anyone comes near him. Yet he is starved for attention. It will take years of loving reassurance to break him out of his patterns learned at a young age. My heart breaks for him. When he meets Carter in college and then Susa, his life changes forever. He just does not know it.

This is the first in a trilogy of how a MMF triad can work so beautifully. I fell in love with each of the characters. Owen is a sweetheart. Susa is a determined women who knows the limitations placed on women and she still works around the obstacles. Carter is the man who appeals to me the most. He is a dominant in all the right ways... for me. I'd be a puddle around him just like Susa and Owen.

This is a masterfully woven tale of kinky erotica and career aspirations. The switching between current and past timeline is nicely done. Seeing from different character view points also helped enhance the story. This kinky erotica is recommended to menage lovers who enjoy politics.  

Comments

Popular Posts