Review: Lieutenant

Lieutenant Lieutenant by Lesli Richardson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

If I thought the first book was well written in this series, this second one blew me apart. Since I first read the book, I've re-read this over again about five times. This book should not be read as a standalone. Whilst it theoretically can read by itself, to receive the full effect, the first book, The Governor is recommended. This story focuses on Susa and her drive to become a Governor.

This book starts off where it left off in the previous book. In the same writing pattern, there are flashes to the past. It gives a different view of the same scenes which makes this trilogy richer. I like the layers and learning about past events from another set of eyes. It gives a more balance perspective. And if there is one thing I love, is to have things balanced and fair.

I expected this story to feature Susa's time campaigning to be the next governor and her current job as the lieutenant governor. I expected back stabbing and political shenanigans. Maybe some blackmailing and attacks against and by the media. What I did not expect was for a death-defying event. I'm not going to spoil what happens, but suffice to say, what happened to Susa is incredible and all too realistic. As a person who travels a lot and overseas, this is very real possibility to happen to Susa. The modes of transportation in some countries is very sketchy. All I can say is that those with a will to survive and who are calm under pressure will have a higher chance to make it.

The turmoil and fear in this story is well done. It dances on the fine line between hysterical meltdown and manic optimism. The story is told from both the lost and the searchers. I am not sure how Ms. Richardson did her research to create such a great tension and scene. It is a page turner for me and the scenes lasted just the right amount. I loved how much this book made me feel. It makes me appreciate life and want to hug my loved ones right after I read it.

This page turner is highly recommended to menage romance readers. 

Comments

Popular Posts