Review: So Steady

So Steady So Steady by Eve Dangerfield
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Following up So Wild, this second book is every better. Buy this book now. I loved it and how it made me feel. For me, if a book contains a great plot and the characters move me to tears, then I love it. Nicole is the second sister. Hiding in her older sister's shadow, Nicole is resigned to being the black sheep of the family. In a family filled with drama queens and bohemian types, she is the odd one out. She's the one who works an eight to five job. She goes into finance, probably to ensure she will never be without money and to have a stable lifestyle. Her worst nightmare comes true when her father disappears and the family business is missing money. She rushes home to help her sisters, because this is what families do.

Of the three sisters, Nicole is my favourite. Her sense of responsibility and how her love language is based on service … appeals to me. She's the one who will be there to support during her loved one's hardest times. She will try to celebrate the joys but she is the one who can be counted on when things go south. As a person who is there for people during the rough times, she is often taken for granted. And when things start to be successful again, she is forgotten and even mocked. From this viewpoint, I really disliked her sisters. They are not bad, but they completely take advantage of Nicole's good will. Even more unforgivable is how her sisters make fun of her dreams. This hits a little too close to home for me, which is probably why I felt more for Nicole than her sister Sam's plight.

It is more than just the character development that pulls me into this story. It's also the plot movement. In the first book, there are questions left unanswered. The answers are neatly woven into this story and more questions arise. This keeps the story exciting and engaging. I want to know what happens next. And where is their father? Is he sick? Is he with a woman? Or is he just on a mental health walkabout? So many scenarios are playing in my head. What we do know, is that Noah the surrogate son is keeping secrets and one of them is about their father.

I liked Noah. I like his stoic manner. I especially liked how he changed his life and didn't go in a spiral of destruction, following his parents. His colourful past gives him an added edge and explains so much about him once it comes to light. What surprises yet doesn't surprise me is the response of the three sisters to Noah's past. I'm disgusted with Sam and the flighty youngest one (I can't remember her name because she annoys me) treatment of Noah. If it were me, I'd forgive them but I will never forget what they said or did. Nicole's personality which includes caring and empathy responses as I expect. Her interaction with Noah is amusing for me. There is sexual chemistry and the tension is more a slow cooker simmer. It is rich and with many different spices to add an explosive flavour when they finally get together.

This story can be read as a standalone. It is recommended to read the first book for a better background. I highly recommend this contemporary erotica to readers who enjoy bad boys with hearts of gold and the strong women who love them.

*I received an advanced copy  

Comments

Popular Posts