Review: Rule of Law

Rule of Law Rule of Law by Karin Tabke
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Antiheroes and damsels in distress can sometimes be so good. In this new trilogy by Ms. Tabke, I'm mixed. Full disclosure, I didn't read the blurb too closely because I'm a fan of Ms. Tabke. I have always enjoyed her romantic suspense. This is not a romantic suspense. I think this is more a dark erotic.

This story is mixed for me because it was a difficult read and yet it was a page turner. For me, it was a page turner because I wanted to learn more about the "dark angel" Law. He is the quintessential antihero out for vengeance. His thirst for dark justice stems from a trauma loss at a young age. Learning about what drives Law is appealing to me. I love these survivor stories and what he does with his drive. It is admirable how he saves others and yet he is still on the "wrong side" of law. He takes law into his own hands and doles out justice where cops and others cannot. Or maybe they do not because they could care less.

The world Ms. Tabke has built is filled with criminal elements that clearly show, human life is not valued by Law's enemies. Law's consortium is hinted about several times yet it isn't full explained. My guess is that more will be revealed in the following book.

So what made this book difficult to read? Lana. It isn't just that Lana is a whiny spoiled bitch. Nor is it because she is a strung out druggie. It's because Lana is stuck in an unending loop of victimhood. This is a pet peeve of mine. I can't stand people who stay in a victim mode. Law and his associates call Lana out for her behaviour. She's erratic and all over the place. Her character is inconsistent which makes me annoyed. She is petulant at times with her temper tantrums. Yet she is focused at other times to "become" more and fight back. Which is she? I'm not sure if Ms. Tabke purposely created Lana's character to be so annoying and such a loser or if Ms. Tabke waffled back and forth to create a damsel in distress. One can only hope that Lana's show of growth near the end of this book will continue on in the next.

From a main character perspective, this book was nearly unrate-able and possibly a generous 1. From the intriguing world building, cloak and dagger plot and the kinky club, I moved it up to a 3 star. Yes, I can be bribed with kinky sex and a hot alpha male. Let's just hope Lana doesn't turn him into a pussy. This dark erotica is recommended to readers who revel in "the complicated" status.

*provided by NetGalley

Comments

Popular Posts