Review: Her Forbidden Hero

Her Forbidden Hero Her Forbidden Hero by Laura Kaye
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Shameless Book Convention introduced me to so many new authors. Ms. Kaye is a new one who seduced me with her tortured alpha male. I confess to a fondness for military men. Marco is former Army with some harrowing experiences in the Sandbox. His PTSD is serious. As a person who has friends with severe PTSD, I connected with Marco on a deeper level. Watching him struggle to get through the day reminds me of friends who have their good and bad days. It isn't pity I feel for Marco. It is a strong desire to help him heal. What is the magic that fix this painful trauma?

Fortunately for Marco, his childhood friend's little sister Alyssa is up for the task. Best friend's little sister themes can be a bit overdone at times. Ms. Kaye does a nice job of setting the stage and bringing the two together. They are both flawed characters who find that together they can find understanding and possibly a lessening of their trauma. There are a few frustrating parts where Marco just won't communicate. This is understandable due to his experiences. I would expect him to be closed off and wanting to just shut down. Alyssa's sweet nature and history with him makes her the ideal person to help open him up and start healing.

This story did have ups and downs so that it wasn't a straight easy love. The devastating effects of war are evidenced in this tale. Either Ms. Kaye did a decent research on this or she knows people who have come back from war, a bit damaged. I find this admirable. This angst filled romance is recommended to readers who also love friends to lovers themes. 

Comments

Popular Posts