Review: The California Dashwoods


@lisahenryonline #bookreview #mustread #sweetromance
The California Dashwoods by Lisa Henry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Will this book be a series? If so, I want to read the entire series - NOW. I am a little confused by this story. Not the story itself, but who wrote this story. For me, Ms. Henry is known for her dark, gritty sometimes depraved tales. Sometimes it is alien craziness that keeps hinting at kinky sex yet fades to black when it could get interesting. In California Dashwoods, I kept expecting a terribly traumatic sexual violation scene. Maybe there is kinky shenanigans. Half way through the story, I realize I've been snookered. There are no sexual deviants or violations here. Should I continue on with this book? Because New Adult or Young Adult is not my thing. Still, I'm intrigued with where this story is going.

Elliot is the main character and he's a dutiful sweet boy. His father is a loving if naïve and a bit selfish artist type. The story starts on a sad note with a death of Elliot's father. The aftermath of Elliot's survival sans his father is frightening for me. Specifically so many things were left unprepared which leaves Elliot in charge of his two sisters and a mother who is reviled by her father's family. It's a drama I'm drawn into because Ms. Henry writes it so well. I feel for Elliot. He may come across as a mild manner boy who never gets angry or rails at the unfairness to life. His inner thoughts are deep and his devotion to family and loved ones is even stronger.

There are many secondary characters in this story and they all cry out for attention. Not in a bad way. In a way that makes me want to learn more about them. Will we get their own story? I want to know what happens to Elliot's younger sisters. Will we get the pre-story about his mother and father? What is up with his father's side of the family? There are so many questions. This world Ms. Henry's built is filled with unique characters and a complicated life based on socio-economic status mismatching. It is an elegant soap opera captured in the written word, bringing a vivid story to life in a reader's mind. I loved this book. The only regret I have is waiting so long to read it.

Ms. Henry surprised me with the sweet romance in this book. She still added sorrow and pain in a vanilla manner that will touch a romance reader's heart. The last time I felt this kind of poignancy was watching a Nicholas Sparks movie. I can easily see this book turned into a movie. Ms. Henry always delivers a well written story which moves me. Sometimes in horror and sometimes in bittersweet romance. This new adult book is recommended to romance readers who love youthful romance and first heartbreaks.  

Comments

Popular Posts