Review: The Last Emperor

The Last Emperor The Last Emperor by Kari Gregg
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

*Waves fist in the air and rails as Ms. Gregg

This book sat on my virtual shelf for a long while. A hidden precious gemstone almost forgotten in my overwhelming TBR pile, I accidentally stumbled across it during my frantic New Year's Resolution in cleaning my Kindle. (And to get caught up in my reviews.) I love Ms. Gregg's books since the very first time I read her book. I also loathe her books. Why? Because they are so well written and the speak to me. In addition, she writes it in a way that it can be expanded into follow up books. At this point in life, I'd even be grateful for just a sequel. But to paraphrase the talented Neil Gaiman, Kari Greg is not my bitch. I can't make her write a sequel. I can bat my eyes and promise my first born child if I could have children and I would still get nothing. There are reasons for that and even if there weren't, it's still okay. I savour her books and read them again.

From the very first few words of this story, I'm pulled in and dreading what will happen next. I've had this book so long I didn't know what it was about and I purposely did not look at the book blurb for a refresher. Within the first few paragraphs, I'm stunned and trying to fathom how such cruelty can happen. It also reminds me of the Russian monarchy.

Nick is the last in his family and the brutal reasons why is more horrifying as the reader continues on in his tale. The atrocities committed against his loved ones makes me rage at the same time cry for the little boy who lost it all. When it comes to drawing blood and yanking a reader through an emotional turmoil, Ms. Gregg excels. And this is why I love her books. She makes me feel so much. I fall in love with Nick. His journey to finally make good on a promises he had to himself is one filled with intrigue, backstabbers and an unexpected mate. I love how Nicks is a survivor and not a victim. He is in control of himself and his actions command respect. I loved his interactions with Arit.

Arit is a straightforward shifter who has the largest chip on his shoulder about his father. When it comes to Daddy issues, Arit is riddled with them. This magical broken world of shifter and humans is intriguing. Ms. Gregg builds a world that draws a reader in and makes them yearn for more. And this is why I hate her books too. That yearning will never cease nor be satisfied. We are left thirsting for something that will never come.

The story is tightly woven and moves at a fast pace. All too soon the story comes to an explosive end. The details in the tail are superb. Ms. Gregg creates a special world filled with gritty hardships of life yet balanced with mystical optimism. A page turner, I did not know what to expect next. Nick's journey back to his roots is only the beginning. His decisions and happily ever after will be filled with challenges, obstacles and true love. This book is highly recommended to masochists who love a story of delayed justice. 

Comments

Popular Posts