Review: Seducing Janey

Seducing Janey Seducing Janey by Sherri Hayes
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Several years ago, I came across an author venturing into erotica, Ms. Hayes. Since my specialty genre is BDSM, I tend to be a bit more critical with kinky books. Whilst memorable, Ms. Hayes' erotic series did not tap my kink button. Her writing style caught my attention because I could see the potential. When this latest book came across my virtual desk, I admit I did not read the blurb. I went in cold and figured it would be another gentle sugarkink story. I purposely ignored any spoilers or details from the author. When I read this book, for the first few chapters, I kept wondering when the BDSM would show up. Confused, I pressed on to find myself completely riveted to this romantic suspense. Do not let the title fool you, this is more than just a romance. I believe Ms. Hayes has found her niche. I loved this book.

Ms. Hayes' writing style has tightened over the years. The growth in her voice and character development is evident in both Janey and Kyle's dialogue and history. I found myself drawn to both of these characters who are mature with perhaps a bit of a chip on their shoulder. Their initial interaction was a bit rough and as they began to work together, I focused more on the suspense/mystery part rather than their budding romance. For me, this title is not so much seducing Janey as seducing the Reader. I enjoy mysteries and suspense. Ms. Hayes did a wonderful job generating the suspense. The clues and following the characters' point of view to solve the crime kept my mind actively engaged. I wanted to figure it out before either Kyle or Janey.

There is more to this story than just romance and a murder to solve. Ms. Hayes shows the pros and cons of living in a small town versus the "big city". The way she builds the world where Kyle lives versus Janey is so realistic I can picture them in my mind. I liked that there was no white knight saving plot device as Janey is independent and in no need of saving. Instead, Janey is living a full life in the city and the romantic conflict comes with whether or not she can give up her life in the city for the slower pace of life of Kyle's. This realistic situation makes Janey more relatable as well as gives the contemporary romance more realism. The way the two adults worked out their needs and wants is a pleasure to see. This is what made the book so good for me. This contemporary romance is recommended to readers who enjoy suspense and heroine who can slay her own dragons.

* I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book. 

Comments

Popular Posts