Review: The Final Deception



The Final Deception by Heather Graham
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This series keeps a reader coming back for more. Kieran is once again embroiled in a case which involves the FBI. Craig, her fiance is concerned because this latest one, the Fireman seems like a cased closed, yet he is uneasy. Especially as Kieran is a psychologist who works for a practice that interviews and assesses criminals. A criminal who fixates on Kieran is not Craig's idea of a safe.

From the first few pages of this story, I'm pulled in. I could have easily read this book in one sitting if I started it at a reasonable hour. Alas, as usual, I started too late and had to sleep before I could finish this book. The next morning, I started work early just so I could finish early to finish this book. The suspense is what kept my attention. I liked walking through the mystery with Kieran as she discovers each clue and does a bit more sleuthing. She is much more sophisticated than Nancy Drew. She finds herself in just as much trouble, it seems.

Whilst Kieran is chasing down leads, Craig is dealing with more homicides that make everyone question if the police really has the real Fireman. Ms. Graham does a great job of throwing in several red herrings. Still, there was a little something in the way she wrote a character that made me suspect them as the real killer. The betrayals in this story tied all the different thread together. Through all of it, it does seem as if perhaps Kieran should look into a job as a profile for the FBI. Perhaps a bit of training would help her as she seems to get herself into some sticky situations.

The characters in this series both main and secondary are easy to like. This is more than just a suspense story as the reader shares the life of Kieran and her siblings. Their restaurant/bar is described so well I can visualize it. The feeling of welcome and coziness leaps off the pages. The relationship and ties between the characters builds a complex network of friendship and family. This is why I find the series so compelling. These little nuances build a world I wish I could visit. This romantic suspense is recommended to readers who enjoy a mystery with a heart.

*provided by Harlequin via NetGalley 

Comments

Popular Posts