Review: Bobcat


Bobcat by Candace Blevins
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Sensually magical is how I would sum up this romance. The second book in this new series is more playful and at times, mischievous than the first. Sometimes, I wonder if Ms. Blevins is writing books just for me. It feels this way because I loved so many things about this book. For those who have never read a Ms. Blevins book, this can be read as a standalone. Warning, this may cause a sudden need to read the two other series that revolve around this paranormal world.

What did I love? I loved the different shifter animals. Most people think of werewolves and cats when they read of shifter stories. Dragons are popular albeit a bit less than wolves and felines. The exploration and expansion into a mongoose shifter tickles me pink. Especially when this adorable critter turns into a ferocious lawyer in human form. Although one can argue that Tess, the lawyer is cute as a button in her human form and just as ferocious in her animal form. A certain squirrel may attest to Tess's ferocity when she is a mongoose. If there was one thing I would have liked a bit more was more mongoose and bobcat time.

The suspense part of this story added another layer of richness by creating tension and conflict in Tess's budding relationship with Bobcat. Their courting is a clash of wills as the two test to see who is more dominant. I can appreciate this because Tess wants a male who will be able to accept her take charge attitude, wealth and ability to defend. An insecure male who exerts strength through beatings into submission or deriding her accomplishments is worthless to Tess. I can relate. Tess is a strong female who needs a partner. Is Bobcat worthy?

This dominance dance can be intense at times and softer when a reader least expects it. The subplot of recovering from a major supernatural war gives insight and depth into Bobcat's character. His day job is one I can relate to, even if I don't manage a strip club. It is his leadership style and how he unwinds dysfunctional behaviours of his employees to become a functional team that appeals to me. I must admit, I am envious that he canes disobedient workers and enjoys a side benefit of anal. If only...

Tess's client issue which brings in the suspense element and why she needs bodyguards speaks to my need for justice. Sometimes, justice is not played out in the court of law and other methods are needed. The desire for those who are hypocrites to be brought down is strong within me. Tess's decisions and actions are swift and beautiful to witness. The fallout, retaliation and subsequent brutal return volley makes my heart soar in delight. There is something so erotic and appealing about males who can protect, defend and then switch to offense.

Ms. Blevins weaves all these tantalizing elements into a tale which kept me up all night. This book is a page turner with humour, erotic kinky sweetness, stern alpha discipline and primal pleasure. This book is highly recommended to paranormal readers who love their romance with a spicy bite and sassy female lead.

*I received an advanced copy 

Comments

Popular Posts