Review: Close Up

Close Up (Burning Cove #4)Close Up by Amanda Quick

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This series is delightful from book to book. I am usually not one who pays attention to a cover of a book, but this series in its Art Deco style catches my eye. I love it and can't stop admiring it. I have been a fan of Ms. Quick for about 3 decades. In all this time, she consistently delivers riveting romance stories. Her writing style continues to grow in directions I follow as a reader. From her historical romance to her paranormal romantic suspense, I adore them all. In this latest tale, we return to the 1930s.

This series is amazing to me because Ms. Quick takes us back in time to a period where there were more restrictive social rules. In some ways, it was a more honest time because the rules were clear and most people seemed to follow them. Those who were outliers and flouted the restrictions also understood their role. Vivian is one who went against society dictates and she could, because she came from a family of wealth. Even if she has been cut off from her father's money, her mother and sister still help support her a little here and there. It helps to be an artist with the loving support of family and friends.

I liked Vivian and her desire to follow her passion. Her photography and how she portrays people may not jive with the style during that time, but they evoke a feeling of understanding and almost a view into the person's soul. At least this is how it comes across in the descriptions. Ms. Quick is so clear with her imagery I can almost see it as if I am right there. And at the heart of this story, it is about art, be it photographs or the staging of a death.

The suspense part of this story kept my mind engaged because it did not make sense to me. It didn't make sense because the pieces did not see to fit together that well. As the story progresses, it is clear that there are multiple threads and once that is understood, the full picture (or pictures) come into focus. I really like this newer direction of multilayered villains and plots from Ms. Quick. It adds a richness to the story as well as actively engages my mind. It makes this story more memorable, even if the love interest fades into the background for me.

Nick is the love interest for Vivian. I didn't sense any sexual chemistry between the two, even with the sex scenes. For me, it was more about friendship, support and understanding. Nick understands and gets Vivian. He sees her for who she is, not her family's name or the discarded spurned lover. He makes no judgement on her taking crime photos to pay the bills. His defense of her against a patronizing former teacher is a mic drop. I loved it. These two are sweet together in a wholesome and soft way. This romance is recommended to readers who enjoy unconventional female leads finding their happily ever afters.

*provided by Edelweiss



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts