Review: Fantastic Hope

Fantastic HopeFantastic Hope by Laurell K. Hamilton

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This anthology meets it name beautifully. I wanted to read this book because of two authors I admire - Patricia Briggs and Sharon Shinn. In these hard times, I wanted to see what kind of story they create to inspire hope. They delivered.

In Ms. Briggs' story featured Asil who is a secondary character in one of her books. This one, where he is featured again being forced to go on a blind date is hilarious. His dry sense of humour and his ability to take a slightly practical joke keeps me laughing throughout the story. The plot twist threw me and that is what kept me entertained.

Ms. Shinn's tale was not only mind blowing but poignant. This topic on reincarnation can be a heavy subject. She takes this, turns it on its head in a light humour way yet delivers brutal punches with the seriousness of the situation. On top of this, she performs a left hook to the jaw with a plot twist that totally caught me off guard and breaks my heart. This moving piece of past lives and remembrance is impressive.

For the most part, every story included generates a feeling of longing, yearning, redemption or hope. With the exception of perhaps only 1 story which did nothing for me, all of them are a treasure to read. The one that moved me most and caused me to tear up was Ronin's by William McCaskey. His writing style may be unusual with the imagery. The power of his descriptions invokes a certain melancholy reminding me of my darker days. I am going to guess this is a self-reflection for him which makes this tale even more powerful. It gives those of us who have not experienced such soul rending loss and maddening strip of power, a window in to the bleak aftermath. I admire the demons the character wrestles with in Ronin. I know of several of these unsung surviving warriors, trying to hold on to life, one day at a time.

I loved this book because it generates emotion in these jaded times. It reminds me of humanity at its best and worst. It reminds me to be humble. This collection of stories is highly recommended to readers who are looking for tightly woven stories with fierce intensity. Love it!

*provided by NetGalley

Comments

Popular Posts