Review: The Girl Next Door

The Girl Next Door The Girl Next Door by Chelsea M. Cameron
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Making it big in the Marketing world is not all it is cracked up to be, as Iris finds out. Iris is fresh out of college with stars in her eyes and believing she will immediately make a difference for an "ethical" company. She'll be able to put her marketing degree to good use and bring forth the "good message".

I wasn't sure what to make of this story after the first couple of chapters. I picked it up because I am always curious to see how a FF romance will go. For me, the story is more about becoming and growth than a romance. The romance felt a bit fast and forced. I understand that this is "girl next door" sweet romance so the instalove theme is expected.

Iris is a girl who is a bit deluded in how the real world works. This journey of her failure to make it in the big city is rough to follow because it is all of her own making. I found it difficult to relate to her because of her unrealistic expectations. The sad part is her life after graduating college is one that so many experience. Fortunately, this story isn't a woe is me and "I can't live the American" dream.

The harsh lesson which forces Iris to come back home is a great start to a new chapter in her life. I liked how her situation compared and contrasted from her neighbor, Jude. Jude is only 4 years older than Iris and yet it seems greater, due to Jude's heartbreak and maturity. This romance between the two is sweet and it brings out the best of each of them.

The personal growth for both Iris and Jude is what made this story enjoyable. Their ability to move forward from their loss demonstrates that all hope is not lost. Their awkward interactions which bloom into a sexy romance makes this story sweeter. I confess the sex parts of this story were a bit too tame for me and I ended up skimming over most of it. I tend to like my ff erotica a tad spicier.

Overall, this story could be a window into almost any 20 something's life. For readers who are overachievers, this story may grate on you. For those who enjoy seeing second chances and a rebirth from the ashes theme, this story is for you.

*provided by Carina Press via Netgalley  

Comments

Popular Posts