Review: Power Play

Power Play (Pleasure Playground #2)Power Play by E.M. Gayle

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This is a hard book for me to review. I think if I had read this book 10 years ago when I was getting more into BDSM books, I would have enjoyed it more and rated it higher. After reading some 1000+ BDSM books, some of them really accurate with the BDSM portrayal, this one leaves me a little ill at ease.

From a romance perspective with a sexy male dominant, Daegan McKenna checks many of the boxes. My issue with him is his high handed determination of what Jennifer Croft should do with her career. Perhaps it is a hot point for me, but no man tell me my job is over and he's found a better job suitable for me. This really bothered me, regardless of the intent. There was no discussion, just Daegan changing Jennifer's life to suit him better. And also what he though would be better for her. If Jennifer was into this and ceded her decision to him, I would have been okay. But she didn't and this was a point of contention for them.

Whilst this story did resolve it, I don't really like how it was resolved and quite frankly, I find Dagean's actions alarming. Alarming because it so closely dances along the line of a domestic abuser. I don't like my BDSM mixed with possible domestic violence.

From a BDSM scene perspective, Ms. Gayle has done her homework and perhaps experimented a little. After being in the lifestyle for a while, I can usually tell the authors who live it versus those who do good research and try to portray kink as accurate as possible. This one is a sweet romanticized version of kinky play. I enjoyed it.

Overall, this is a well written kinky romance. Recommended for erotic romance readers who love a happily ever after with a few spankings.




Comments

Popular Posts