Review: Frost


 FrostFrost by Candace Blevins

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


When Banshee had enough of being a sweetbutt, she left the MC in a so-so manner. She had a slight fit and yet still thanked them for the time she enjoyed there. For those who read the first book in this series, Dementor, the scene was a pivotal moment for helping Ember from that book understand the MC world. For most readers, like me, it was a one off that I didn't realize would become a full book. This book can be read as a standalone. Still, it is more enjoyable to read all the books in this series in the order it was written.

As with all Ms. Blevins books, I love them, but I never know exactly what I'm going to get, other than non-vanilla sex. I could not understand how an entire storyline could be written with well developed characters and a plot based off a throwaway character. Because for me, Banshee was a throwaway character. She's a sweetbutt who is just in it for the sex. To my surprise, there is so much more to her back story and specifically how the MC named her Banshee. It kind of makes me think less of the MC, but then again, I'm not a fan of MC and only read the romanticized versions from a handful of select authors.

Turns out, Banshee whose real name is Cheyenne was going through a tough time in her life. The MC was a way to escape and also find herself. Now she has moved on and her life is pretty cool. She's her own boss and she co-parents with her ex-husband in a way that is amazing. I only know of 1 friend in real life who is close to what Cheyenne does when it comes to co-parenting. I really like Cheyenne after learning more about how she raises kids and how she takes no crap from anyone. Plus, her kitty cat is HILARIOUS and adorable. Ms. Blevins captures the cat like traits so well in Cheyenne's shifter animal. Cheyenne's pairing with Frost is quite unlikely and I wasn't sure how they were going to be able to match.

First of all, Frost is a bird. Cats… birds… yeah, to top it off, the female is the cat and the male is the bird. Still, owls are not prey. They are usually predators and Frost is definitely a predator. Second, Cheyenne was all into vanilla until months of training from the MC to take a bit more. She's no longer vanilla but she is far from Frost's very sadistic side. Frost is interesting because his sadistic tendencies encompasses … all pain. He derives pleasure regardless if the person is enjoying it. It purely depends on how he feels about the person. This is one of the few well written sadist who shows sadism in more than just one vein. I'm impressed. I like this about Frost because I'm similar and understand him. Third, Frost initially comes across as just a thug criminal. He is not. There is a lot more to him and more about unlucky circumstances causing a jail sentence.

What I enjoyed the most about this romance is how Cheyenne and Frost's romance develops. They have real people scenarios and problems. They work to find a way to work it out. There are no contrived misunderstandings or drama fits. Well, at least not between the two of them. I really enjoyed how the cat and bird traits wove in and out of the storyline. The scene with that catnip is priceless. Too bad we don't get to experience Cheyenne's cat drugged up on it and rolling around in the grass. Finally, the kink is fantastic. For those who enjoy the more brutal side to rough sex, this is the one which will rock you. There is no humiliation, it is centered on impact and pain. There is a very fine line between torture and pleasure. Frost is a maestro with his instruments and he can definitely make Cheyenne sing.

Ms. Blevins is one of my favourite kinky writers. She is innovative with her scenes. Nothing is repeated from other books. Plus she showcases different styles of kink in a manner that clearly screams she's in the lifestyle. The responses from both the top and bottom are true to life, even if these are taken to the extreme since the characters are paranormal and can handle much more than a human every could. When it comes to the most painful kink scenes, she can still turn it so erotic.

I highly recommend this erotic romance for readers who enjoy kink, paranormal shifters and characters with great depth.

Arc provided by the author. No review is required. I wrote one anyway*I>


Comments

Popular Posts