Review: The Protector

The Protector (Games People Play #4)The Protector by HelenKay Dimon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

How have I not read this series before? Full disclosure, I read this completely out of order with this one first. I have read a couple of Ms. Dimon's books before and found them to be enjoyable and erotic. The one I liked more was the suspense thriller type. When I found out about this series, I had to try it. I am glad I did.

In this latest book, I can definitely see the growth in Ms. Dimon's writing style. The plot is a bit stronger and felt more like suspense thriller with romantic elements rather than a romance with a contrived suspense. This book reminds me a bit of Kat Martin, Christina Dodd and Heather Graham's romantic suspense. If you like their books, you will enjoy this series from Ms. Dimon.

The characters Cate and Damon are an unlikely pair. Cate is determined to find out why her sister is dead and she doesn't care who gets in the way. This makes her go to her last resort, find a special "fixer" who can help. Damon is part of a secret club type group. These are men with skills who seem to be in the gray area between law and order. Damon's friend sets him up here because the place Cate wants to get into, is the same place that Damon escaped as a youth. Going back to his past is something his friend firmly believes in.

The plot is interesting as random acts of violence are thrown at Cate and Damon. The suppositions as to who and why they are being targeted keeps me engaged. What I enjoyed is Damon seeing and learning about his past from a different set of eyes. With distance and age, Damon can almost see what was previously obscured to him. Cate's fresh pair of eyes is what helps Damon get to the bottom of his past. Whilst Damon finds out why her sister was killed. Or at least prove that her sister was killed.

The romantic elements between the two are fiery. They are like water and oil and don't seem to mix well at first. Or I guess more like vinegar and oil, Cate being the bitter vinegar and Damon being the slick oil. After being thrown together and shaken up several times, they bond and are good together.

This contemporary romance is recommended to readers who enjoy suspense and contrary stubborn characters.

*provided by Edelweiss

Comments

Popular Posts