Review: How Not To Date... Vol. 1

How Not To Date... Vol. 1 How Not To Date... Vol. 1 by Stephanie Burke
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

How did I miss this collection?  This came during a time where Manic Reviews was going through a bit of turmoil itself.  And now that review site is no more.  Still, I must complete the reviews I said I would do... no matter how long it takes. 

This book is a stitch!  The humour in this is spot on with great timing.  Ms. Burke pens a deliciously tongue in cheek poking fun of several more popular mythos of vampires and fae nowadays.  The sparkle joke in How Not to Date a Vamp had me chortling with glee.

How Not to Date an Alien - This one was just bizarre.  I kept envisioning Venom here, getting ready to take a chomp out of Kilana.  Still, the sex in this one is pretty hawt and the miscommunication is cute.

How Not to Date a Fae: I really liked this one because I love reading about Japanese mythology as well as Irish/Gaelic fae mythology.  This one was cleverly done and I wish there was more to it!

How Not To Date a Skunk: I have to be honest, this one I adored.  I love shifters that are different than other standard ones.  A shifter who becomes a LARGE skunk?  One that can dance?  I kept thinking of that Brasilian style dance fighting when the scene was described.  I felt Bilana won the lotto with this one.  

How Not to Date a Vamp: This one turns all the vampire stereotypes on its head and is probably the most irreverent of the stories.  I liked it.  I like how many inside jokes came out of this ... down to the names of possible female author nom de plumes to use.  I recognized all of them.  Well done, Ms. Burke.  

How Not to Date a Bear: What the ever loving ... This one, I'm just speechless.  I don't even know what to say except, that poor bloody polar bear.  Gillian is a menace and needs to be kept away from all these poor innocent bear shifters.  Honestly if she didn't end up as a mate, she should have been killed. 


All in all, this book is erotica from head to tale.  The sex is a bit kinky and a bit hokey.  Enjoyable and lightened, recommended for everyone who has a sense of humour and wants some sweet sexy time!

Comments

Popular Posts