Review: Skin Effect: By the Award Finalist Author: More Science Fiction Erotica

Skin Effect: By the Award Finalist Author: More Science Fiction Erotica Skin Effect: By the Award Finalist Author: More Science Fiction Erotica by M. Christian
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I started this book in 2016 and never went past the first chapter.  Determined to finish some of the books I have started, I picked this up end of 2020 which was a very challenging year for most.  For me it was year of renewal and rejuvenation.  Things I haven't finished, I had hope to finish.  With this attitude in mind, I dived in and I don't now what to say.  I didn't like this book.  I didn't like this book and yet I still rated it a 3 star, why?

The writing is really well done.  This collection of stories are provocative and a mix between Twilight Zone and Black Mirror with an erotic element.  It is rare that a sci-fi story will incorporate sex.  I especially liked the points the author wrote at the end of this collection.  That so many sci-fi books now are based in dystopian worlds of failure.  Instead of looking forward towards hope.  I agree and I like that he is writing something different, new and makes people uncomfortable.

So why did I not like the book?  Because I loathe short stories that go no where and really don't have much of a plot.  It feels like this is a tiny scene where I don't get the full picture.  Or that this is just a stream of consciousness that is tossed at me.  The lack of a beginning and closure bothers me and I tend to avoid short story collections across the board due to how unfulfilling they leave me.  It is a pet peeve of mine.  

This collection is recommended to sci-fi fans who want something totally different.

Comments

Popular Posts