Review: Training Sasha

Training Sasha Training Sasha by Becca Jameson
My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars

Had I read this book perhaps in the early 2000s, before I have read that many kinky BDSM books, I may have rated this book better.  As it is, it is just "okay".  I struggle with the writing style of this book.  There is a bit too much inner dialog bouncing back and forth between Lincoln and Sasha's point of view.  Whilst I like the training concept of this story, the execution of it leaves me with a slight distaste in my mouth.

Why?  Because Lincoln is going in with ulterior motives and I didn't like it.  The hypocrisy from Lincoln and Sasha's brother causes me to be disappointed.  I understand this is the main conflict.  I understand that many romances are about best friend's little sister and how it is a problem.  When it comes to BDSM, I think these kink of tropes should be left in the dust.  Or rather, for those in the lifestyle, these kinds of tropes are cringe worthy.  Why?  Because of the inherent lack of trust and communication.  These head games are not something I prefer in my lifestyle story.  It is more than Sasha being a bratty sub.  Sasha is fine.  Her character is one who is admirable because she is honestly trying to learn.  She wants to see what it can be.  That she wants Lincoln and isn't forthright about it?  That is okay.  Not my cup of tea, but okay.  Want to read about healthy siblings dynamics in the lifestyle? Try Dakota Trace and her Chicago Doms series.  

For Lincoln who is supposedly so well learned and mentored under an "amazing" dom, he should know better.  Yeah, yeah, yeah, his personal feelings towards Sasha clouded his judgment.  I call BS on that one.  He could have handled it better.  And Sasha's brother is a jerk about it.  Does this happen in real life?  Probably.  I have been fortunate that the people I know in real life who have parents in the lifestyle or family members ... siblings and children who are getting into the lifestyle have never been this way.  They are the opposite of how Sasha's brother and Lincoln behaved.  Whilst this is a fictional story, because it is more contemporary romance versus non-con spank material, I am going to grade it a bit harder.

From a kink perspective, it is okay.  The scenes are what one would expect for new to BDSM.  Nothing in here is shocking.  A little of it is erotic but each reader's mileage may vary as I have read an extensive amount of BDSM across all spectrums and tend to be a little jaded.  The chemistry between Sasha and Lincoln seem to be just lust adversaries types which doesn't really trip my trigger.  Overall, this story whilst interesting in concept fell flat in delivery for me.  

This contemporary romance is recommended for kinky readers who like best friend's sister themes.


*provided by NetGalley

Comments

Popular Posts