Review: Milk: A BDSM Romance
Milk: A BDSM Romance by H. DeanMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
This review is a long time coming. When the author H. Dean sent this book to me, he warned that this is a departure from his usual books. It is still erotica but "not the same". Since I primarily read his books for spank bank material. His previous works were all heavy body modification or more specifically, dollification. Most of it involves a bit of mind control and dubious consent. With this in mind, how would H. Dean make this story direction different than his previous? More depraved?
How about, more ... romantic? This is a romance which caught me a bit off guard. The characters, Lisa and Roland are kind of your run of the mill people. Well, with the exception of a one-liner regarding Roland's previous job in the military that is admittedly a bit eye-rolling. Is everyone a Navy SEAL now? Because it sure seems like it. Even when I vacation, guys tell me they are former SEAL. And yet, I am a better SCUBA Diver than them. Which makes me go... hmmm. I digress.
Lisa is a woman with quite the rough past. Quite honestly, I don't know how she is so well adjusted without any therapy. For this, I'm happy about and I applaud Lisa's positive survivor attitude. Plus she is just so darn stinking cute. She is totally adorable and just someone you want to protect and chill with. Roland is a man with "proclivities". I love this word. True to his word, Roland is a man with proclivities that mesh up well with Lisa's submissive demeanor. Lisa's submissive side is not like what most Vanillas think of, as a submissive. Lisa is more realistic with her sassy attitude yet will allow all sorts of fetishes to be visited upon her body. H. Dean creates a believable character with quite the sordid past.
The kink in this story is as the title suggests... lactation. If hucow or lactating fetish is not your bag, this story is still erotically stimulating. H. Dean presents a kind of fun, kind of dirty, kind of erotic fetish and makes it more understandable. It is unapologetically deviant, dark and humiliating. There is no rosy coloured glasses on this fetish. This is pretty accurate when it comes to lactating and playing a bit of human cow kink. I can't say that all the devices in here are exactly possible, but some are... and the devices are a trademark of H. Dean. He tends to create fancy sex toys that are functional and specialized. I like it.
Overall, the heat index in this erotic romance is a long drawn out simmer. There is some intensity yet H. Dean keeps it at just below a rolling boil so that the reader is right at the edge, ready to bubble over into ecstasy. There is more plot to this story and character development. The romance part is nicely done, especially for a first transition from more hardcore kink to a sweeter erotic romance. There are a few parts which could have been edited for a tighter read. I like this new direction H. Dean is moving towards. His writing style is maturing and growing. This erotic romance is recommended for kinky readers who believe "Milk does a body good" and question if everyone "Got Milk".
* I was given a copy to read in hopes of receiving an honest review. I wrote one, even though it is 2 years later than anticipated.

Comments