Review: Gilded Mess

Gilded Mess Gilded Mess by Colette Rhodes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Fairy tale lovers, there is a new author in town.  Ms. Rhodes is a new to me author who hooks me into her story and I cannot wait to read the next book.  If all her stories are so well crafted, she is going to be added to my auto-read list. Gilded Mess caught my eye oddly enough by the cover.  I generally do not pay attention to covers and blondes do zip for me.  However, when said blonde also has ... cub ears, I am intrigued.  I read the blurb and thought, why not?  Reverse harem is still the rage right now and I have a few friends looking for some new material to read.

I loved this book.  Ria is an adorable mess.  I mean, I'm glad she isn't my mess to clean up, but she is someone who just isn't quite synched up for life yet.  She's pretty much hit 30s and she's still jobless and directionless.  She kind of knows what she wants yet she is completely ill prepared for it.  There are so many challenges for her and I admit, at her "old age" it is looking not so good.  Usually, I can't stand these kind of characters.  Ms. Rhodes creates a character who knows her own shortcomings and takes ownership of it.  Ria isn't a victim.  She may have been taken in for a ride and makes horrible decisions, but she owns it and tries to fix it.  She just needs a little help and guidance.  

I feel like some of it stems from her "disability".  In the world she is in, this disability forces her immediately into a 2nd class citizen.  I am glad to see she rises above this and still tries to find her way.  Whilst hiking down a path she did not expect, she stumbles across three very sexy brothers.  Bear shifters can be quite the isolationist.  Yet two of the three are totally into Ria.

The interactions between Ria and the 3 brothers is priceless.  I love how Ria calls Noah "Daddy bear".  I also love Ria's understanding and sexy times with Eli and Seth.  Lately, since I'm very jaded in sex, I tend to skim through the sex scenes.  Even the kinky sex has become a bit of a yawn.  I am not sure if I am just ripe for the picking or if it is how Ms. Rhodes writes her sex scenes.  These mildly kinky ones are delicious.  I read every word and thoroughly enjoyed the sexy times.  The ménage is graphic, decadent and hawt.  

What I like about this loosely fairy-tale retold story, is that there is a plot.  This reverse harem is more than just glorious satisfying sex for the woman.  It contains character development, intimacy and a couple of subplots that make me angry.  I am vested in this story and my only regret is reading it before the second part is out.  Warning, this story ends not exactly as a cliffhanger, but as a strong steel hook to pull the reader to the next book. 

This erotic fairy tale retold is recommended for readers who enjoy multiple partners and a reverse harem theme.

I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

Featured Book Reviewer

Comments

Popular Posts