Review: Michael's Wings

Michael's Wings Michael's Wings by Tiffany Reisz
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Simply exquisite and generates a longing to return to the Original Sinner world.  When it comes to BDSM erotica, Ms. Reisz is one of my favourite authors.  I cannot explain why it takes me forever to get to her books since I love her stories so much.  I think part of it is that I adore the world to such a degree that I don't want to have it end.  If I keep the book waiting on my shelf, there is always something I can return to and see new.  

This collection is astounding and moves me to tears at times.  There is something in the way that Ms. Reisz writes that speaks to me.  Her ability to create relatable situations is impressive.  Her characters have gone through things I myself have questioned and gone through.  There are several instances in this collection where I loved how BDSM was explained.  Specifically, I loved the scene between Griffin and Michael's mother.  Griffin explained that Michael is from another "planet".  Not the Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus.  This is the Kinky people are from Saturn.  The way Griffin explained how Michael didn't fit in because he's from Saturn and how he couldn't breathe, that could have been me decades ago. I wish someone understood and would explain to my parents back when they felt I turned into a rebellious teenager.

One part which brings me to tears is how Michael accidentally committed suicide.  Was it intentional or was it really that he was at such a low point that his body took over and found an out for him?  I understood this scene so painfully that I could feel it.  The confusion and almost peaceful state Michael went into - almost a suicidal Zen is perfectly captured.   The fear Søren exhibits as he comes running to Michael's rescue is moving.  The agonized screaming in the background as a mother sees her beloved child dying in front of her is a punch to the gut.  This one scene is so flawlessly executed, it is as if I was there and experiencing it from 3 different view points in a visceral manner.  I love it.

These short stories which revolve around Michael are poignant, revealing and intimate. I loved learning how Griffin first met Kingsley and brought into the fold.  His adoption into Saturn is a lovely insight to where at the end of the collection, we see a mature Griffin who now runs the world Kingsley built.  I want to work at this place.  I want to work for Griffin.  This would be a dream job and yet it does not exist. I am in awe of how Ms. Reisz creates her world and characters.  This collection is a treat.  This book is highly recommended to readers who both love the Original Sinner series and ones who haven't read it yet.

*provided by NetGalley

Comments

Popular Posts