Review: Spark of Fate

Spark of Fate
@TessaHaleWrites @jennw23 #SparkofFate
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

New to me author Ms. Hale pulls me into a world of heartbreak, betrayal, and old secrets.  Warning, this is a YA book.  No where in the blurb did I figure out it was a YA book otherwise I would have passed on it.  Luckily for me, it slipped under the radar and passed into my queue.  Sneaky...

Rowan is young.  She has her license and is one year away from graduating from high school.  She's also suffering badly from survivor's guilt and moving to a totally new place may or may not help.  What I want to do is take Tessa away from her parents and give her a safe haven.  I want to smack her parents around and then kick them off a cliff.  I feel so bad for Rowan.

In this new school, there are queen bees and mean girls.  There are also some cool kids that help her out.  Come to find out, these new friends are not just in a "hippie" like commune.  Nor are they in a cult, but pretty close to it in some ways.  This is the first in the series and it is all about setting up the trilogy.  Or at least, I think it will only be 3 books.  

This book is predictable of what will happen.  The jealous females, the fated mates are straight forward and expected.  What is unfortunate and sometimes expected in Rowan's situation is how her mom treats here.  It's heartbreaking and my heart cries for this young girl thrown into a world she doesn't know and losing her best friend and protector.  To have her parents treat her like a leper compounds the pain.

The pace of this story is good and speeds up til the end where we end with a cliff hanger.  Yes, for those who don't like cliff hangers, there is a bit of one here.  It does hook me into the next book and I can't wait to read that one.  There are now more questions to answer and I hope the second book does it justice.  

Lastly, I picked this book up because it is a reverse harem categorized book.  I'm wincing a bit at this because there isn't really sex in here.  I'm not interested in underage sex.  It is many males to one female which fits the current description of reverse harem.  For those looking for New Adult sexy times, that's not going to happen.  Or at least I hope not until Ro is over 18, please.  Yes, I'm fully aware minors have sex.  I just don't want to read about it.  

This reverse harem is recommended to YA readers who like a female who wants to stand on her own feet yet has a team of males willing to die for her.

*An ARC Provided by Social Butterfly 

 

Comments

Popular Posts