Review: Devil's Redemption

Devil's Redemption Devil's Redemption by Natasha Knight
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The conclusion to the forced marriage of Isabelle and Jericho leaves me ... conflicted. Whereas I liked Jericho in the first book a bit, in the second book, he leaves me very disturbed. I'm all into dark erotica.  This isn't a dark passionate rough sex erotic.  This is a dark domestic violence with soul-crushing words to shred a person's insides to smithereens. I am not one to push for therapy. In this case, I'm thinking Jericho needs it for multiple afflictions.

For the readers, we can see the point of view from both Isabelle and Jericho.  For Isabelle, she only knows what Jericho shows her and what he says to her.  His cruelty in words and how he puts his hands on her in rage and violence leave me a bit ill at ease. I am no stranger to non-con nor do I have issues with sadistic kinky practices. There is however nothing safe here for Isabelle because she has no out. Well, other than killing herself.  Keep in mind, this child, and I say child, is only 19 years old.  She is without any close family members she can fully trust. She is thrown into a secret patriarchal society with archaic sexual rites for brides. There are so many warning signs here for her.

Jericho I thought was a bit more controlled.  Yes, he's a devil in that he is an arrogant alpha man who doesn't give a damn about other people's feelings.  He wants what he wants and he will get it. I thought he at least could control himself.  I don't me sexually.  I mean he lays his hands on people when he is furious.  He also drinks himself to death when he is upset.  What a loser.  I have zero patience for people who think drinking to a blackout state will fix their problems.  He is in a dangerous situation and instead of using his head to beat his enemies. . . he takes time out to drink himself to oblivion?  What the ever-loving F?  Yes, yes, I know in real life many people do this.  I just don't want to have to read about it.  I digress.

There are a few plot twists in this story that were hinted about in the last book.  Ms. Knight does a lovely job in bringing this to light. The ending felt rushed and resolved a bit too pat for me.  I guess an innocent 19 yo is going to accept abuse and forgive easier than a jaded almost 50 yo like me.  The ending is a happily ever after. I am going to be a Debbie Downer and call out that if Jericho doesn't do something about how he handles disappointment and rage, he's going to end up with a wife that is going to be as mistreated as the mother he loves.  He isn't too far from his father and that is a shame.  This dark erotica is for readers who know the difference between reality and fantasy.  This is a dark fantasy with arousing sex scenes entwined with a dysfunctional marriage.

* I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book.

Comments

Popular Posts