Review: King of Spades

King of Spades
#ThisYearTuesday
King of Spades by Alta Hensley
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Picked up this book for two reasons.  There is mention of "wonderland" and the author is Ms. Hensley.  What I didn't realize is that this is in a world tied to K. Webster's with the Morellis and the Constantine families.  I'm glad I read about them just a couple of weeks ago.  This helped provide a little bit of context for this story.  This book can definitely be read as a standalone.  The only warning I have for this book is that the female lead is TSTL.

Lyriope is a bastard child looking in through a tiny window, envious of her half-siblings. Apparently, as a Morellis, it implies wealth, power, and influence. Lyriope has none of these and worse, she's in trouble that could get her killed.  She is proud enough not to go to her wealthy father for help.  She is dumb enough to go to a deadly loan shark.  Seriously, her mother and stepfather get her into the worst situations and she's 100% in to help them at the risk of her life.  I have absolutely zero respect for Lyriope.  She has no loyalty to her mom.  She's just stupid and immature.  She may be hot AF and her saviour may want to dip in and taste the honey between her legs . . . it isn't worth it.  

Honestly, I'm baffled with how a self-made man like Nick Hudson would want the shallow and clueless Lyriope.  Between his lavish parties and his desire for a foolish woman, this story reminds me all too much of The Great Gatsby.  I enjoyed that story so much and I loathed Daisy just as I am underwhelmed with Lyriope. At first I thought she had some guts.  Then I'm a bit intrigued with her bravado.  When the facts come out about how incredibly stupid her choices have been in life, my opinion takes a downturn.  With each new choice, Lyriope masters another low with making bad decisions. Nick's problem is he wants to save an unsalvageable foolish female.

Why do so many authors create such amazing male protagonist, even if they are anti-heroes?  Yet they create such terrible female characters that underscore the weakminded stereotypes of beautiful women?  I completely understand a female who has flaws.  Lyriope doesn't just have a few flaws.  She is a waste of space.  This book ends  in a bit of a hook that makes a reader want to know what happens next.  

Inspite of the insipid lead female, this story is well written and the sexual tension is delicious.  I want to know what happens.  More to the point, I want to see if this will end up in a spectacular train wreck and Nick will suffer the same fate as Gatsby.  Or if by some miracle of God, Lyriope gets her shit together and works with Nick instead of against him.  Honestly, I don't think Lyriope can mess this up anymore than she already has.

This erotica is recommended to readers who love antiheroes who save females from themselves.

* I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy.

Comments

Popular Posts