Review: A Season for Spies

A Season for Spies @GoldenAngelRom #MustRead #Netgalley #ThisYearTuesdays
A Season for Spies by Golden Angel
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

How have I missed this series? Honestly, why do I even wait when I see a Golden Angel book?  If she writes it, I will read it.  I do not need to read the blurb. No matter what genre or time period, her writing style speaks to me and the erotic scenes are sublime.  This is the 4th book in the series and I found it to be easy to get right into it.  It does make me want to go back and read the previous 3 books in the series.

How does one mix historical romance with erotica and then tie in suspense?  Masterfully if the author is Golden Angel.  I picked this book up because of the erotic theme.  I was a bit iffy on the historical time period because I have moved away from historical romances.  Turns out, I still love that time period, I just hadn't read many authors who can make it fresh and interesting.  Ms. Angel bulldozers me down with intrigue, treason, and hella sexy erotica.  

Evie is the niece of a Marquess.  Due to some unforeseen circumstances when she was a child, she grew up less like a lady and more like a street urchin.  This helps her accomplish what she wants to do... become the best spy for her uncle.  What I like about Evie is that she is not perfect.  In fact she is annoying in many ways with the chip on her shoulder so large, it sometime eclipses what good she can do.  Her complete lack of understanding and empathy for her male relatives is a bit astounding for the time period she is in.  I get her frustration.  It also feels a bit too 21st century for me but it works.  The one I feel for is Anthony Browne.  He has never met the likes of Evie and talk about steamrolled...she just flattens him.  

This story is less about women inequality for me and more about team work.  Or lack there of... Evie is a force to be reckon with and she completely disregards teamwork and has no idea how to set up her case and persuade the men to work with her.  Instead, she expects them to completely adjust to her and her way of doing things.  She is a Team of I.  Or as we say, there may be no I in team but there is a Me. What I found fascinating about this is that her style and arrogance is no different than what many males exhibit and whilst they may be admired, she is reviled.  I found this provocative to be flipped in a way and wonder if people notice their unconscious biases.  For me, the lack of team work regardless of sex is always a hot button for me.  Working styles aside, the sex in this story is deliciously "Eyes Wide Shut" themed.  Now I want to read the other books in the series and every other one in this series to come.  The sex parties in Victorian era . . . tantalizing and kinky.  

Ms. Angel creates another wonderful tale and I pine away for the next book in this series.  This erotic romance is recommended to historical romance readers who want to kick it up a notch.

* I received an ARC from NetGalley

Comments

Popular Posts