Review: Consequences: Owned by the Vampire

Consequences: Owned by the Vampire

Consequences: Owned by the Vampire by Candace Blevins
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

When it comes to intense BDSM, my go to author is Ms. Blevins.  In this latest installment of her paranormal world, we see through the eyes of a Viking who is trying to live in modern times.  In some ways, the paranormal world allowed him to stay constant as the world continued to change. Every once in a while, someone comes into a person's world and creates such an impact that it redefines a person's world.  Whilst this story may be focused on Daniel's slave, I personally felt it was more profoundly a character growth for Daniel.

Starting of this story, I did not feel good about it.  The material in the first third was a rough read for me.  Not because there were plot issues or poor writing.  It is purely because it made me feel sterile and not in a good headspace.  The characters were well written, created, and interesting but I felt only apathy towards them.  For some readers, it matters not if there is a connection with the characters.  I am not that type of reader.  The more visceral reaction I have to the character and their plight, the more I am engaged and fully into the store.  I think the clinical like manner of how Daniel went about selecting a slave and how he sexually tormented them bothered me at a fundamental level that I cannot explain.  I just know I felt ill at ease.

After the first third, Daniel is prodded by vampires and shifters he respects to think about how he choices his slaves and why. This is where I realize why this story isn't working for me.  The lack of intimacy and inability to relate or connect is also stopping me from connecting to Daniel.  For me, Daniel is going through all the motions of living the past millennium with little passion.  Yes, yes, there is lots of sex, sadism, blood, and orgasms, but one cannot live on just sadist sex - no matter how good the screams are or how much suffering is doled out.  Daniel's epiphany leads him down a dangerous path with his newest slave and I like it.  It is a new experience for him and it makes him more relatable.  It certain does help that his decisions makes his new sex slave more appeal and less doll-ified.  

I do confess to having some issues with how and why the slave was sentenced to slavery, but I know that is my own modern ideology.  I understand and can appreciate the ruling body for paranormals.  I do not have to like it. I honestly cannot see a different why they can dole out punishment without losing control.  What I do like is when the ruling body makes a mistake, they will do their best to make it right.  This brings up to the last third of the story which makes me shiver in fearful delight.

Daniel's slave is now offered an opportunity of a lifetime.  This is how Ms. Blevins always gets me.  She throws in things that I love.  Things like creating an environment to grow and reach beyond a person's potential.  Providing innovative ways to rise above the poverty level.  Making questionable acts because alluring, enticing, and provocative.  The last third of the book is filled with erotic impact play with intense anal training.  It's like Ms. Blevins is writing the kink scenes just for me.  *mwah - air kisses to the author* The character growth of both Daniel and his slave brings me joy, satisfaction, and above all . . . relief.  The consequences of choices each character makes leads us to a happily ever after.  The knot unties in my gut; I cease working about a relationship falling apart.  I started with an average star rating which concluded with a burst of euphoria - ending in a 5 star.  Ms. Blevins wins me over again.  Not surprising.


This erotic romance is recommended to BDSM lovers who appreciate character progression story lines and personal accountability.  (The sex is glorious.)

 

Comments

Popular Posts