Review: Ally and her Mad Hatter

Ally and her Mad Hatter

Ally and her Mad Hatter by S.N. Hunt
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Curiously erotic and delightfully twisted, this reinterpretation of Alice in Wonderland lingers on my mind.  I can honestly say I have never had a reinterpretation so deliciously dark.  I have read several iterations of Alice in Wonderland that are full on kinky BDSM, but not dark ones and this one will stay in my list for a long time as a must read.  


I don't want to provide any spoilers, suffice to say, how this Wonderland came to be and the enemy within is a unique redesign.  At the beginning of this story, I am a bit reminded of Tim Burton's version.  This quickly changed to become more like Adriana Arden's Alice in Underland which I loved.  Warning, Adriana's is no longer available and it is explicitly graphic in its kink.  Whilst Ally and her Mad Hatter also entrenches in glorious kink, it adds a philosophical element that I did not anticipate.  This raison d'etre snuck up on me and blew my mind.  I love it.

 I also liked the questionable characters in this story.  Ally's life and understanding of her parents is completely different that she thought.  Her entrance into Wonderland is fraught with more peril than the original Alice storyline.  The insidious fog that is the undoing or unmaking of Wonderland is a nice nod to the unformed areas of the Fae which I liked.  Not sure if that was intentional or not.  

 I have always felt the Mad Hatter was underrated in the Disney cartoon.  When Tim Burton brought out his version, it spoke to me more.  In this one, I'm more drawn to the Mad Hatter and I adored him.  His situation and how he came to be is created in a meaningful albeit poignant manner.  Given a choice  . . . a boring card knight versus a eccentric hatter . . . I know which one I would choose.  

 The sex in this story is pretty good and my 4 star bumped up to 5 star due to the erotic nature of this story.  The sex parts were just the right amount and kept the sexual tension between the characters.  The raw primal sex is a delight and I like how well Ally and the Mad Hatter were paired in their needs and wants.  Definitely on the rougher side of sex and I loved it.  Is it really BDSM?  Questionable for real life practice.  It does work in this story and for those who are into Vanilla Spice, this will probably be too much for you.  For those who enjoy the sharp edge of kink, this will be right up your alley.  

For personal reasons, any re-interpretations of Alice in Wonderland or Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz stories will always catch my attention.  I look forward to seeing more of Ally in Ms. Hunt's stories.  This erotica fairy-tale retold is recommended to readers who enjoy dark anti-heroes with a happily ever after.



Featured Book Reviewer

Comments

Popular Posts