Review: The Dom Who Came in from the Cold

The Dom Who Came in from the Cold

@authorlexiblake #BookReview #mustread

The Dom Who Came in from the Cold by Lexi Blake
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

There seems to be a recurring pattern for LEO/Military male dominants.  Kyle is one who creates a train wreck with his nonexistent relationship with MaeBe.  I mean, I don't even need to read the story to know how this is going to go.  Kyle is heavy handed and a complete idiot in so many ways that I empathize with poor MaeBe.  Kyle is stuck in the "me man, me roar - you woman, me protect" mindset.  He cannot seem to grasp that MaeBe will not be placed in a box.  MaeBe on the other hand is more like . . ."oh, so sorry.  I don't need a knight to save me from the dragon.  I can save myself."

One would think I would hate Kyle in this story and dislike it.  That would be false.  I enjoyed this story thoroughly and was eating popcorn whilst waiting for the fireworks.  I love how Ms. Blake turned the situation around on Kyle.  I love how she made Kyle human.  I love how his death is the worst kept secret and she empowered MaeBe to take control of her life.  Whilst I get the gist of the story just by the blurb and title, the actual unfolding of the story is what makes it so good.  Kyle's cognitive dissonance with his version of MaeBe versus what she has become is hilarious.  MaeBe's ability to be so patient with an obviously deranged male who is suffering major PTSD relationship meltdown is incredible.  

On top of all of this, Kyle thinks he can make MaeBe submit to him because he has a magical penis and a great spanking hand.  Kyle's delusional beliefs are so out there for me that I cannot help but laugh.  MaeBe's response and her disbelief in how out of touch he is, it is the cherry on top.  Of course, the supporting cast of Ian and others trying to get Kyle to understand he is going down the wrong path is just a complete circus.  I love Ian.  He is the bomb.  His witty insight makes me laugh.  The other guys who are in a relationship try so hard to help Kyle out but he just keeps digging that hole.  The fact that he thinks an erotic power exchange can occur without trust is beyond me.  Well, I guess he does know this, he just doesn't realize his actions have caused him not to be trustworthy.  When he FINALLY gets that he's an idiot, his groveling is meh.  I guess just like me, MaeBe can be bribed with good sex. 

This erotic suspense is recommended to kinky readers who enjoy over the top protective males that have to learn things the hard way.

Comments

Popular Posts