Review: Ignition Sequence

Ignition Sequence

Ignition Sequence by Joey W. Hill
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I seem to be out of town every time I am reading an ARC for Ms. Hill.  This one, I read in several different pieces before I read the entire story.  I can definitely say that after reading from beginning to end, I'm moved.  What I enjoy about Ms. Hill's books are the emotions she pulls from a reader.  This is more than a romance.  This is more than delicious Kinky scenes.  We learn about the ups and downs of real life professions and how they impact a person.

For context, my day job is in IT.  When team members are losing their minds and beyond stressed out, I remind them that what we do, does not save or take lives.  We are neither medical nor military.  Whilst what we do is important to people's livelihoods, waiting a day is generally not going to cause a person to die.  This is to remind people to breathe, think about the issue, and then move forward.  In Ignition, Brick is a fire arson investigator and he's been a fireman most of his career.  This is definitely a job where every moment can count and lives can be either saved or lost. Les is a doctor. Doing residency in the ER is not easy.  Watching Les deal with a loss at work is gut wrenching.  If she was less compassionate, she would get through this loss easier.  But we want doctors to be compassionate.

I love how Brick and Les connect on a deeper level because they have shared experiences being in the deep trenches where decisions can cost people their life.  This pairing works well because whilst they have different jobs, there is a mutual bond that helps them understand each other through shared experiences.  This connection is beautiful as it helps build trust between the two quicker as Les enters the world of kink.  Trust is required, especially for edgeplay.  Full disclosure, I love fireplay both giving and receiving.  I tend not to think of it as edgeplay or as dangerous as some kinksters feel.  Everyone's threshold is different and that's okay.

The fireplay in here for the most part are easy and mild ones for me.  As in, they wouldn't take much prep for me to get it set up for either receiving or giving.  Ms. Hill does a great job of showcasing how to be as safe as possible.  There is always risk with fire.  The one scene with the fire flogging is the exception. This is not an easy skill to begin with and to add fire makes it dangerous.  If people are wondering if this can be done in real life, I can confirm that it can be done.  However, fire flogging scenes are few and far between.  Many clubs do not allow fireplay, let alone fire flogging.  I only know one person in real life who has witnessed this and it is only because they are in an area where there is a large community. 

This erotic romance is a sensory rich delight recommended for romance readers who look for a bit of spice.

* I receive an ARC for an honest review


Comments

Popular Posts