Review: Slay

Slay

Slay by Laurell K. Hamilton
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Does Anita get married in this book? The title should be loud and clear - there is no wedding.  At least not yet.  Oh my goodness this book is filled with childhood trauma.  I remember when I first picked up a book in this series.  It was Obsidian Butterfly which is still my favourite book in this series.  I was so confused about Anita's life and went back and bought (in triplicate) all the previous books to see what exactly happened in Anita's childhood.  Nothing was shared.  Back then, I wished that there was a little more context of what happened to make Anita to be what she is today.  Well, I guess I should be careful of what I wish for.  This book gives a much deeper look into her horrific childhood.  I never understand how horribly cruel family members can be to the ones they are supposed to love and protect.  

For those hoping that there are not therapy sessions in this book . . . I am going to crush your hope.  There are no visits to any therapist but this is a tale chock full of therapy scenes.  It does get old after a bit, but it still provides good insight.

For those hoping for sex scenes.  YAY!  There are mmmm sex scenes!  The new Big Bad is here and what do they want?  Yes sirree, they want Anita and sex is on the table.  The amount of non-con sex and others demanded in this tale is impressive.  Anita does what she always does . . . sex and slaying.  It was glorious.  Many of our favourite characters show up in this book.  As per the usual, there is betrayal, more betrayal, and terrible betrayal.  On the flip side, the redeeming undying loyalty comes paired up to the betrayals.

I ripped through this book in a night and enjoyed it from cover to cover.  With all that is going on leading up to Anita's wedding, I'm on pins and needles. Will it even be possible for this wedding to ever take place?  I am tuned in and anticipate at least another 2 books before we arrive at the wedding.  Recommended to Jean-Claude lovers and die hard series fans.  

 *provided by https://www.netgalley.com


 

 


Comments

Popular Posts